Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Mr. Miyagi

So, we are sitting at breakfast this morning and I am trying to get Madeline to hurry it along before she has to leave for school....(eating her cereal)
I say to her, "Focus, Daniel Son!" and she looks at me like I've just come from the moon.
"I'm not Daniel", she says.
I explain that its a quote from the movie "Karate Kid" and she is just a little too young to get it.....at which point the 20 yo college student that lives with us (my cousin) chimes in. Here is an excerpt:

Britt: What is Karate Kid?
Me: You know, the movie.
Britt: No, I don't.
Me: Come on. Daniel Son. Mr. Miyagi. Karate Kid!
Britt: Never heard of it.

This conversation plagues me all morning and I am convinced that she is mistaken. She just missed it, right? She just happened to NOT have seen the 6 Karate Kid movies that were released (there were a few). That has to be it. And I can completely relate to that. We didn't have a television in our home until I was in high school. All those nights you were curled up on the couch with your family watching "The Cosby Show" .....I was playing outside in the yard. No wait, I was probably giving the twins a bath. But, I digress.

So, I look up the release date of Karate Kid. 1984. She was negative 3.
I'm old. This really stinks. I'm old.