Thursday, December 22, 2011

Simple Butternut Squash Soup


I discovered these lovely butternut squash in our CSA bag and decided to try my hand at butternut squash soup.  My inspiration was a recipe I saw in a local magazine.  I loosely followed it (since it called for a bunch of veggies and I wanted a simple soup) so I'll share with you what I did.  Warning:  this soup is very basic.  Next time I will add some garlic and probably some ginger, maybe some cayenne?



Cut squash length wise and scrap out the "guts" - seeds can be seasoned & baked.....yum!  Place squash on a broiler pan and salt/pepper & drizzle the oil of your choice over top.  I used coconut oil since the smoke point of my cold-pressed EV olive oil is much lower and I didn't want to bake these all day!  I baked them on 375 for about an hour.

In the meantime, grab your favorite soup pan and saute an onion in a bit more coconut oil.  Add some chicken broth.....about 3 cups.  I used filtered water with Better Than Bouillon.  Sprinkle in salt/peper, nutmeg and cinnamon.



Once your squash is soft and brown, you can scrap out the insides and throw them into your blender.  The magazine suggested evaporated milk but I added a package of cream cheese.  Why?  Because it just sounded delightful.  Slowly stir your creamy mixture into your soup pan.



Grate a bit of fresh nutmeg over the top.  Or don't.  Either way.....voila!  
It was a huge hit and couldn't have been more simple to make.