Monday, November 7, 2011

Chocolate Pecan Spelt Cookies


I helped Mommy make cookies with spelt today.  We ground the spelt into flour and away we went.
(and before you go thinking I got into the liquor cabinet, that's homemade vanilla in the vodka bottle!)



My friend Kathy gave me the recipe.  I'm posting it below but you can find it here....along with lots of other yummy recipes and tips.
1 1/4 cup fresh milled spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup sucanat
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup oil  (I used coconut oil)
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup pecans
Preheat oven to 350.  Mix dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Combine syrup, vanilla, oil in a separate bowl and then add to dry ingredients.  Mix until just combined.  Add chocolate chips and pecans.  Drop onto a cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.   This recipe only makes about 12-16 cookies, so you may want to double it.

......me again....as a side note, I always refrigerate my dough for a few minutes before baking (if you are using freshly milled flour.)