Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Tag, I'm IT

I just got “tagged” – my first time. Moment of silence. Followed my laughter because you are then supposed to “tag” 7 bloggers and I don’t even know 7 bloggers!  Too funny.

I am to share 7 funny/weird things about myself. I know, I know, this blog is about my kids. But, tag is tag. Here we go:

1. I attended a “self-taught” school until 7th grade. Sounds strange, eh? It was similar to the home school concept of today. You worked at your own pace and graded your own papers. There were parent volunteers and one teacher that would oversee the whole “project” – LOL! Thankfully, the “project” was successful as I transferred to a very competitive private school at the end of 7th grade and did great. Well, minus the fact that the students were all fluent in a 2nd language. Cut me some slack people!

2. I spent 3 days on a bus. I really would like to stop the story here but I will reluctantly continue. When I was a freshman in college, I boarded a bus on a Friday that was supposedly driving non-stop to Florida for spring break….with 2 fewer seats than there were passengers. (Thanks Alt – the bus driver – for making this “exception”) Unfortunately, we got caught in the “southern blizzard of ‘92” and ended up on an exit ramp somewhere in Georgia. They shut down the freeway and left us for dead, I mean to fend for ourselves. When we finally arrived at a gas station, there was one package of Ho-Ho’s and 2 Mountain Dews left in the store…..you think I’m kidding. We had no water and no food. Wait, we still had part of a (warm and slightly stale) keg on the bus, never mind. This was before the days of cell phones (I know, I’m old) and so the only way to make a call was to stand in 4 feet of snow and wait for one pay phone that over 200 people were sharing. Oh, and the best part was that, in my highly intelligent and experienced mind-set, I decided to wear “Florida” clothes. And why wouldn’t I….we were going to wake up in sunny Florida.
Long story short, we arrived on Monday. For more on this story, see my therapist. I’m kidding.

3. I am the oldest of 6 children. I have 4 brothers and one sister. We all have a sister, Susan, in heaven. She will be 30 years old in April. I can’t wait to meet her again someday. We are all married except Kathan (come on buddy, you can do it!) so now I have 4 additional Costello sibs….and some pretty cool Scherer ones as well.
Growing up was a complete blast.. I love my siblings.  They are some of my best friends.  As of just recently, we all live in the same city.  Crazy, good times.

4. I spent the majority of my “growing up years” living in the country where we grew most of our own fruits and vegetables and got our dairy and eggs from a near-by farm.
You may have read in an earlier blog entry that my Mom went through a health kick on steroids. Entirely true. It was mostly ok. I might have traded eating Shredded Wheat (not Frosted people!) with honey drizzled over it for something a bit more edible.
For those that know me well, you are laughing right now as I am pretty picky when it comes to what my kids eat. At least I let them eat flavored yogurt! (ok, so its organic and has flax seed stirred in – what’s your point?)

5. I met my husband on the first day of senior year high school in Mrs. Hotchkiss’ English class. He made a pass at me. He will shamelessly admit it. My family had just moved from Charlottesville, Virginia and I was the new girl in town. My Dad loves this story because he says “See, I knew God had a plan for you when we moved.” (I might have been a bit distant from the parents who moved me hundreds of miles just before my last year of high school). “Everything works together for good.” After almost 9 years of marriage and four (for now! ☺) children, I believe that more today than I did then.

6. I hate lice. Yikes, that came out of nowhere. I am terrified of hair mites. I know, they are small and hard to see but they are there. Ick. When one of siblings (who will remain nameless) contracted lice in elementary school, I might have gone out and purchased every over-the-counter lice shampoo and bathed in it for months. Might have. I might have even used said shampoo after tutoring children at an elementary school later in life. Shameful. I know. I just hate lice. Even more than throw-up. That is saying something.

7. I’ve always wanted to work at Starbucks. Or Caribou. I really don’t care. I know – crazy – especially since I don’t even drink coffee (Ron and I made a pact when we lived in Portland that we wouldn’t go there). I just think it smells so delicious in a coffee shop. And the people are so happy. Perhaps because they are about to get their coffee buzz on? I’m not sure. But, all the same, it seems like a fun job. Starbucks did just make Forbes Top 10 list of Best Companies to work for. And I have a ton of free time. Right.

That’s it guys.  7 (somewhat) interesting/funny/crazy things about me.   Now I will tag:
Liz
Megan
Amie – Ok, I can’t tag her because she tagged me but check out her blog because you can see my adorable nieces and nephews.