Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Easy Tomato Soup

I've tried several tomato soups this summer and never really loved any of them.  Since I have a plethora of tomatoes from our CSA, I decided to try just one more tonight.  This one is heavenly and my kids couldn't stop eating it = home run.

Here's what I did:  (and yes, I'm going to 1/2 my recipe for you ;))

Approx. 3 lbs of organic tomatoes (I used a variety of heirlooms and vine)
Core the tomatoes and cut in half.  Add 5 cloves garlic, peeled and 1 large onion, sliced and throw it all on a baking tray.  Generously drizzle with a good, cold-pressed, organic olive oil.  Season with real salt and pepper.  Roast for 20 minutes in oven.

Transfer this to a large stock pot and add 1 quart of organic chicken stock (I used my homemade from our last chicken) and a dollop of grass-fed butter.  Why butter?  Because everything is better with butter.  Bring to a boil.  Then, simmer for about 20 minutes.  Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth.

Side note on immersion blender:  BUY ONE.  They are awesome.  I was at The Seasoned Farmhouse when Tricia Wheeler mentioned my need for one.  I've never regretted it.

Back to my soup.  I added about a cup of raw cream from the top of our milk jug at the end.  
And of course you could garnish.  I didn't have time.  My gaggle was standing at the soup pot, spoons in hand.  And I had already fed them dinner.  



(I am so pathetically lazy and not willing to take the time to download my beautiful photo.  Thank you internet stock photo.)