Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Spelt Bread in the Bosch


I love my Bosch.  I mean, looooooove.  I use it for bread, cookies, cakes, making pasta and a million other things.  Today, I experimented with spelt, hoping for a homemade bread that was low in gluten.

Here's my recipe - (keep in mind I make 6 loaves so adjust accordingly :))

Mill 14 cups of grains (I did 10 cups of spelt and 4 cups of red wheat berries)
6 cups purified, warm water (I use alkaline)
Overflowing 1/2 cup of organic, raw honey
Overflowing 1/2 cup of organic, unrefined olive oil (sometimes I use coconut oil but fyi, the rise is harder to achieve)
2 T. salt
3 1/2 T. SAF yeast

Dump it all in the Bosch (I add yeast last) and mix on speed 1 for a couple minutes and speed 2 for 8 minutes.

Kneed the bread a bit (doesn't take much after the Bosch) and put in greased pans.  Cover and let rise for 30 min and quickly kneed again.  Let rise for 30-40 until rise is double.  Bake at 350 for 18-20 min.

I wasn't sure if I would achieve the same rise so I added some wheat berries.  Next batch I will do all spelt.  The bread is delicious.



Thank you Pleasant Hill Grain for the photo.  I love their website and products!