Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fast Food Experiment

Last October, a friend sent us a YouTube video of a woman in NYC who purchased a happy meal and let it sit on her coffee table for 6 months.  My kiddos immediately started begging to do their own "research."

I must admit, I was less than thrilled with the idea and tried desperately to beg them off.  Some of the things that might have escaped my mouth: "I don't want food rotting in my living room. We're going to end up with mice.  And maggots.  This is a bad idea."



Despite my objections, GLAM convinced Ron & I to pile them into the car and pick up some fast food.  They choose 2 popular fast food restaurants.  Here is the food on Day 1....a few hours after purchase.





They added all types of "real" food along the way.  One day they added a couple slices of an apple to the experiment.





A few days later they were completely rotted, molded and I threw them away.




Here we are a year later.  The most noticeably change the kids mentioned was the fry containers....."they really faded, Mom."




 Hmmmm.  No maggots?  Where's the mold?
 (actually, in the picture you can see several white spots which is dried grease. yum.)

Happy 1 year anniversary to our fast food.